New American Cities
Transform the lives of New Americans and the cities they call home
At Global Refuge, we believe that immigrants and refugees have an inherent right not to simply survive, but to thrive.
Yet there is a fundamental problem in the refugee resettlement system. Refugees are required to accept the first job they are offered—often a low-wage, entry-level position. They work long hours and overtime just to make ends meet. There is little opportunity to save money, much less time to dream or plan for the future. Often, they are not sufficiently equipped to anticipate and navigate the systemic challenges to long-term economic and social inclusion that they will encounter in their new communities.
The New American Cities program seeks to solve that problem by promoting economic empowerment, social mobility, and diverse, inclusive communities through a three-prong system: pathway building, career navigation, and harnessing the power of champions and coalitions.
Thank you to our founding sponsors, Walmart and the ICONIQ Capital Network, for their support.
The New American Cities Model
- Individualized career navigation services for refugees
- Connections to pathway builders who forge relationships between immigrants and refugees and employers, expose training opportunities, and aim to address systemic barriers to advancement
- A network of coalitions and champions who will challenge negative narratives about refugees and create opportunities for social connections at the workplace, in the neighborhood, and beyond
Outcomes At a Glance
Access to training and educational programs, upgraded job, improved job quality, improved wages and well-being
Increased income, economic stability and mobility, heightened ability to plan long-term
For the Community & Economy
Observed increase in tax revenue and spending, filled labor gaps, charted career pathways for future generations
- $10K Average annual salary increase
- 81% Clients placed in jobs in their career pathway
- 84% Clients placed in an upgraded job
Global Refuge welcomes new partners who are ready to transform and rebuild with New American Cities:
- Employers who will hire and create career advancement opportunities for refugee participants.
- Local Governments who would like to advance refugee integration initiatives and learn how to allocate workforce development budgets to support refugee career pathways.
- Individuals who can contribute to meaningful change financially or serve as career mentors.
- Foundations who are seeking opportunities with a proven return on investment.
Reach out to us at email@example.com for more information.